Friday, 15 December 2006

I Hate Words

I have been away from my blog for a while, maybe I needed the space, I don't know. I suppose I'll start as I usually do by posing a question and continue form their.

Do you ever get the feeling you are always wrong?

I do, but I spend so much of my time trying to do and say the right thing and never getting anywhere. I am asked on a daily basis for help, insight, a point of view or just to listen while one or more of my friends pours their heart out to me. Sometimes it’s trivial but for the life of them they can't see the woods for the trees and a different stance is all they need, others need me to roll up my sleeves and get stuck in with some of their deepest problems. Either way I am happy to help.

The Irony of this entire situation is that no matter how hard I try to sort the situation, no matter how genuine and sincere I am about my point of view, I always seem to end up the target of their pent up frustration. The latest example, and by no means is this an attack on her, but I was sitting in a cafe with a dear friend of mine, I had just been Christmas shopping with her and had just sat down in a cafe. I had bought a coffee for me and a cookie and glass of milk for her. Currently she is going through a transition, and she was telling me that she was worried about how difficult it was going to be. I piped up and said "I'm sure it'll be easier than you think", fair enough its not the most effective piece of advice I have ever given anyone and it is pretty generic but in a way it summed up all I wanted to say to her. I genuinely knew that it was going to be hard for her; I knew that at times she was going to struggle with it but in the midst of all that I knew she was going to battle on through it. I knew she was going to find a way to make it work and in the end when she looked back at the entire situation she would be a better, stronger, more able individual because of it. In my belief that she is able to conquer these things I truly figured that she would look back and think that it wasn't so tough.

She dismissed my answer as if I had read it in a book entitled "how to diffuse annoying women with issues". She said "you can't just gloss over things with pat answers", but it genuinely wasn't.

I suppose I could have said all these things to her at the time but I just couldn't, I took it on the chin and moved on.

I hate words; they are so easily misconstrued and confused.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

honey i'm sorry for havin a go at you, i really ripped into you the other day and i'm really sorry for it. but thank you for writing down here what you really meant. it makes a lot more sense when you explain it like that. but i know what you mean about words failing us sometimes.